Weeknotes: 15th June 2020
This week I started making architecture plans.
This week we (team devs, tech arch, lead dev) had a couple of sessions to talk about how we want to rebuild the architecture of our application.
A brief summary of where we are: AngularJS frontend that hasn’t really been updated in five years pointing to a backend/API/database which is shared with another similarish service. We share some API requests (like
GET /me/tasks) but not others (like
POST /lpa/create), in a way that’s very hard to untangle.
We did a bit of a ThoughtWorks Radar exercise, identifying our current stack and what we want to keep, reduce or ditch, and then doing the same for technologies we’d used elsewhere or wanted to explore.
This gave us a fairly clear understanding of our direction of travel, some immediate spikes to dig deeper into some of our tech options, and a sense of unity in making these improvements.
- Identifying plans for our new tech stack
- Replacing old APIs with newer versions
- Letting ESLint autofix everything it can so each diff is less cumbersome
- Little fixes and tweaks to our new letters to make them more robust