Weeknotes: 18th November 2019
This week I started to review our service configuration. I’ve had a few tasks to do with how the services are put together: how errors are handled, what we send to logs, how we set memory limits.
This is really important work, mostly because of the risk of doing it wrong. Without correct logging, we won’t know when something goes wrong. Without suitable service configuration, we could be at risk of security breaches.
It’s a good chance to fully understand how the different components of the application fit together and simplify wherever possible, but also a good opportunity to refactor code. Alongside our ongoing work to use PHPStan to improve code quality, this means we’re taking some serious strides to bring things up to scratch.
- Started adding additional useful information to our full review checklists
- Finished implementation of my new CSV upload process from last week
- Mobbed on some work to enforce user permission rules
- Debugged some memory issues with document management
- Began to overhaul our application logging and error handling
- Planned some document management integration work with development colleagues
- Attended a profession catchup in Nottingham with other devs, webops engineers and technical architects