Weeknotes: 25th November 2019
This week I fixed a lot of PHP errors.
Last week I talked about how I was reviewing logs and errors. We wanted to increase our error logging strictness so that we get properly notified when things go wrong.
After implementing the stricter rules though, we found lots of existing errors. We obviously don’t want to be unduly notified, so I spent a large chunk of week fixing a lot of them.
The other major piece of work was deciding where errors should be thrown. For example, a report not being found is not really an error state, but a user who has no reports indicates that something has done wrong in our data process.
- Implemented stricter alarms for error messages in our application
- Ensured all alarms and trusted advisor notifications are sent to the team
- Fixed a whole bunch of PHP errors to avoid alarms going off unnecessarily
- Started enabling autowiring in our application
- Started working towards ensuring we meet the MoJ security baseline
- Reviewed CVs for a development role we’re recruiting for